Suad Al Aufy
Past Featured Artist
Contemporary Mosaic Artist
Suad Al Aufy
What motivated you to become an artist?
- It happened by coincidence! In April 2004 my brother Talal, knowing my obsession with art, contacted me saying there's an advertisement in The Week newspaper about a course organized by Bait Muzna with artist Antoni Ribeiro. I attended two consequent courses with him, and instantly fell in love with the art of mosaic. I then started researching and experimenting and found my own style.
If you could collaborate with anyone (dead or alive) who would it be and why?
- There are many, but if I had to choose one, then I'll choose Hassan Meer. I love his very unique paintings, how innocent they look and the deep meanings behind them.
If you could only choose ONE tool to create an artwork with, what would it be?
- It would be my wheel cutter to help me cut my glass tiles into tiny tesserae.
How do you know when an artwork is finished?
- It's different with every piece! For some I know straight away, but for others I would have to leave them aside and come back later to see if they look finished or need more work.
What advice would you give aspiring artists?
- Be yourself, make art that you love, don't change your style just because people tell you it would sell better!